Getting Started in a Commercial Kitchen

What do you need to operate in a commercial kitchen?

  • Business License
  • Food manager or food handler’s Certifcation
  • Insurance

Links are provided below.

1. Check out our Member requirements, then make an appointment to tour the kitchen.

2. Establish a package and fee plan.

3. Complete application – available on website or request form be sent to you.

4. Receive and Review service agreement. Sign and submit along with a copy of food handlers, copy of insurance (naming Wonky Kitchen LLC as additional insured).

5. Once a member, you will receive an orientation on kitchen protocol.

6. Book tables and equipment thru our online reservation system

Food Handler’s Certification

As an owner of a food business, you will need to understand the fundamentals of safe food preparation, packaging and food-service. California law requires that at least one employee of your food business holds and maintains a Food Safety Manager’s Certification, and that all people working in food preparation, storage or service have food handler’s certification.

These food handler’s certifications are offered by your local County Health Department, or can be taken through a number of private education organizations. Make sure that the course you take is ANSI (American National Standards Institute) accredited.

The Alameda County Department of Environmental Health (ACDEH) offers a 6-hour instructor led class and an accredited food safety certification examination that fulfills this requirement. Alameda County Food Safety Course



Additional list of course offerings is provided below.

Read More


Before you start selling your food products, you will want to have liability insurance in place. This may not be a requirement under State law, but will usually be required by commercial kitchens and the businesses to which you sell your food products. And it’s important to protect yourself and your assets.

To be a member of our kitchen, you must obtain liability insurance, naming Wonky Kitchen LLC as an additional insured.

You can secure your insurance through any number of insurance brokers.
We have listed options offering competitive pricing.

FLIP Insurance


$10 Discount Coupon Code: THEPREPSTATION

Business Licensing and Federal, State and Local

We recommend food business operators get business licenses in place and familiarize themselves with the various City, County, State and Federal requirements for licenses, certifications and regulations for preparing, packaging and selling food and beverage products.

We offer resources for understanding the various steps to formation, development and operation of a food business. We can guide you through the steps necessary to establish your business and refer you to free resources and support. Below are helpful links for establishing a new business.

Read More

SCORE East Bay

SCORE East Bay     Serving Alameda, Contra Costa & Solano Counties

Experienced Business Professionals Help You Succeed.  SCORE East Bay offers FREE business mentoring in multiple languages, low-cost or no-cost business training, and numerous templates and tools to help you start or grow a business.

Starting your Food Truck

Alameda County Health website Alameda County Mobile Food Service Info

Alameda County MFF Guidelines (2013)

One of the benefits of joining our Commissary is that you become part of a community of Mobile food operators that can help you with information, advice and introductions.   First Time Food Truck Owner

Eat Drink Alameda is a concierge service for Mobile Food and Events. We assist with scheduling events, filing permits with city and county agencies. The primary goal is to build a network of businesses and event planners,  connecting our food vendors to Alameda. (510) 545-4143

Starting your Food Business

California Dept Public Health, Food and Drug Info

Licenses and Certification are dependent on several factors, such as type of food produced, type of sale (retail or farmers market) and type of business (caterer, product development, food truck, packaged foods).

Quick links

We Are Located At

The Prep Station-2400 Monarch Street-

Alameda, CA, 94501

Give us a call

Margaret Su

  • (925) 298-2558


Bharath Kumar

  • (510) 519-0638